Welcome To Ovenminded

About My Bakin', Cookin', Wine Makin'!

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Shrimp burgers

Always having been exposed to seafood all my life( my Grandfather was a commercial fisherman),having some type of seafood 5 days a week,during the season,was normal for us.I really miss those years . Growing up  in Brooklyn,a walking distance (about 1&1/2 mi) from Coney Island,Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs,the beach,the amusement park (although it was the beach and water I loved) was wonderful for a 7 year old boy.Summer I would walk straight down Ocean Parkway ( think every beach community has one) which extended from Prospect Park at the north end to the beach ,Bay 7th,just out side Brighton Beach.Yes that one, with the alleged Russian Mobsters,but in my time it was just a Jewish Community,whether there was another mob at that time ,hey I'm only 7,who knew,I only want to go swimming.
 I recall being at My Grandfather's house ( they lived up the block from us),he had caught a large lobster,being 6 or 7 years old, the table came up to my chin,it was the length of their dinning table.Iwas amazed to see something so big as that.After all there were 6 adults sitting at that size table, this lobster was bigger than me! My love of the ocean and it's bounty has stayed with me all my life, albeit I can no longer have seafood 5 days a week,none the less we do enjoy some once a week ,
     OK I've rambled  on nostalgically long enough,let's get to the recipe.I found this  on one the Food Channels,tweaked it a bit to suit our tastes,and love it.
 Shrimp burgers
makes 4,  2inch or so patties
 1/2  - 3/4 lb raw, shelled ,cleaned and deveined shrimp 
1 cup kernel corn,fresh is best or can niblets (prefer GG)
 1 tbs fine diced roasted  sweet red pepper (homemade if possible) or fresh
 1 scallion wash trimmed, very thinly sliced
 about 2 tbsp fine diced red onion
1/4 tsp hot sauce ( prefer Frank's) or your favorite
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 beaten egg
 1 /2 cup panko bread crumbs
 1 tbsp unsalted butter
 1 tbsp olive oil
salt & black pepper to taste

Saute  shrimp in  butter and oil over med hi heat till pink and cooked, about 2-3 min side,don't over cook .Remove from pan.let cool,place 2/3 of shrimp in mini chopper or chop fine by hand,remaining 1/3 cut in small dice.
 Whisk wet till combined mix everything in a bowl till well combined.
Shape int 4 patties,place on a plate cover with plastic wrap and chill to set ,about 15 min or longer if convenient. 
Coat patties in reg or panko bread crumbs
 heat vegetable oil in skillet, just large enough for the 4 patties, over med heat
 add patties cook 3-4 min side,drain on paper towels.
 Place on buns ,rolls of choice,dress as desired. 
We had them for Sunday breakfast on English Muffins,topped with poached egg and cheese sauce.

First time I made these I used homemade brioche rolls (BBA#4)
 For those not familiar with the BBA,Bread bakers Apprentice,written by Peter Reinhart,we are just a group of home bread enthusiasts baking one recipe per week in order from this book.
The group is hosted by Chris at         http://akuindeed.com/?p=3675

2 comments:

  1. What a great story! I grew up in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, so we always had fresh fish several times a week too. It's really hard living inland now, the fish just doesn't taste the same. I will enjoy trying this recipe with my husband, who loves shrimp! Thanks for sharing it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! The fish is not the same.When I was 7 the waters along the coast were crystal clear,now you can't even see your toes in 4in of water, ugh!

    ReplyDelete