Welcome To Ovenminded

About My Bakin', Cookin', Wine Makin'!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Homemade Pastrami

Hot pastrami on real NY deli rye, as good as it gets, providing the pastami is from a NY Jewish deli. Well I'm not in NY , living in the south, yes they pastami here, but it's Not the same. Yes I make home made breads, so I'm HALF way there, so I needed to make my own pastrami. With the internet you can find ANYTHING you need to know, including how to make homemade pastrami, just search it! Which I did!
  OK, it's really a simple method, using a corned beef brisket , a spice rub, aluminum foil and your oven.
I bought my corned beef brisket during St. Patty's Day , when they are on sale, I used the lest exspensive one, and a most exspensive cut, the price difference wasn't that great about a dollar or less per pound.Both were good, but the better brand tasted better. That was last year, this time I bought a whole corned beef brisket from Restaurant Depot ( on sale $2.39lb) ,a business license is required for membership ( I have a business license for my biscotti).  They are also available from the wholesale clubs ,and are usually sold cut in half as flat or point cut, the flat being leaner, or whole. Heck if I'm going to go to the trouble to make this why do a small piece, I'll freeze the other half! The brand I bought ( which I never heard of, only due to my inexperience) was Brea's Best.
Let's make some pastrami:
 
What you will need:
 spice mix for a 5 lb piece ( increase as needed for the size you have)
1&1/2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper (freshly ground is best, use more if you like it spicy)
2 tbsp ground corriander
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder ( or granulated)
1 tbsp smoked paprika
 heavy duty aluminum foil

 Open package of brisket, rinse thoroughly, pat dry.
  Mix all the spices in a bowl, rub onto all surfaces of the meat, on a piece of foil longer than twice the length of your meat, lay it fat side down. Wrap, sealing and folding edges several times tightly. Once again lay out a similar length of foil, flip over the wrapped meat onto the foil and seal tightly again, do one more time, now the FAT side will be up.
Place on a lipped baking tray, to catch any leaking juices, cook in a preheated 240 degree oven for 5 hours, remove from oven let cool to room temperature (wrapped). Place into fridge overnight. The meat will shrink as the brine cooks out. Considering good pastami is about $10 lb, your still ahead
 Next day unwrap ,discard liquid and wrapping, slice thinly across the grain, heat in a covered pan with a lttle water to help steam it hot, spread your favorite mustard on the deli rye and ENJOY!!











1 comment: